Arizona

SEP Funds Supported Energy Efficiency Improvements in 33 School Districts Statewide

33
School districts statewide
 

30%
Of project costs covered by SEP funded grants
 

$152,855
Annual utility bill savings within one school

 

In Arizona, the State Energy Office directed SEP funds to support energy efficiency improvements in 33 school districts statewide. The School Energy Efficiency Program, administered in conjunction with the Arizona School Facility Board, provided grants covering up to 30 percent of project costs with the school district responsible for the remaining 70 percent either through a privately financed energy savings performance contract (ESPC) or utilizing bonds.  In both cases, energy savings from the project were utilized to repay the funds. For example, under the program, Higley Unified School District implemented lighting, controls and Heating Ventilation Air Conditioning (HVAC) upgrades in four schools. In one of the schools the energy efficiency measures translated into annual savings of $153,855 – nearly 30 percent of its utility bill. The energy savings will repay the school's share of their energy performance contract in seven years.
 

Contact Information for the Arizona Energy Office